Thursday, April 11, 2013

The power of choice



Choices.  We all are faced with them and we all make them - daily. Big and small.  

What should I wear? Should I eat this or that? Should I date? Who should I date?  What should I major in?  Should I take that job?  Sometimes we make good choices, sometimes we make poor ones. 

Because the brain is not yet fully developed until the early 20's, children and teens typically tend to make decisions based on impulse, rather than forward thinking.  The "what's best for the moment?" approach, rather than "how will this effect my future?"  Parents, however, can help teach their children to be more thoughtful about their decisions and the outcomes.

P.A.T.H has an after school mentoring curriculum which contains a section entitled, The Five Parts of the Whole Person.  The diagram shown below is a great visual of how our decisions can affect many aspects of our lives.

Consider some of the important choices that kids are faced with such as dating/relationships, bullying, drugs, cheating and alcohol.  Take a moment to think about how each of these five circles (five areas of life) are affected by the choices kids make regarding these issues.

The Five Parts of the Whole Person visual:

How often have you heard people say something like, "I'm not hurting anyone, it's my own issue".  Our choices rarely (if ever) affect only ourselves nor do they typically only affect one part of our person.

Parents play a huge role in helping kids learn how to make positive decisions.  Good decision making skills do not come easily, but with help from parents, kids can learn to make decisions that will be beneficial to each aspect of their life: physically, mentally, spiritually, socially, and emotionally.

Here are a few additional questions parents can use to help their children to hink about when making decisions:

*What are the consequences of my decision - short term and long term?  
*What are the benefits?  
*Who is going to be affected by my decision?  
*How is this decision going to affect my future?
*Is this decision going to help me accomplish my goals?



Parents, how are your decision making skills affecting your children and family?







No comments:

Post a Comment